Skip to main content

Participate 2 - Accessing Digital Learning Communities

Accessing Digital Learning Communities

The research into my access was enlightening. My internet speed was not nearly as fast as I thought it should be based on my internet subscription. I do not typically have difficulty using the internet, so the low speeds surprised me. I did learn that certain times of day are typically slower because more people are online.

There were only 2 broadband providers in my area. One had significantly higher advertised speeds than the other. One hundred percent of my state had access to at least 1 broadband provider, and my county had almost 95% with access to 2 or more broadband providers.

Although most of the US has good access, students from other countries may have more difficulty in accessing the internet. If teaching internationally, consideration would have to be given to those students by providing them with extra time or meeting with them during specific times when they can access the internet in a public location, such as a library.

I think finances are an important to consider when reviewing DLCs. Many teachers have limited funds and students typically have no extra money to spend, so resources that are not free may keep a lot of teachers or students from joining. Finding interesting free DLCs for students would ensure they all had access.

Accessibility based on disability is something I do not personally deal with, but is something I have considered as I have had students with various disabilities. For example, a deaf student may have a hard time accessing digital content in the form of a video or sound clip. A student with physical disabilities may have a hard time using a mouse or a touch pad. Making sure to introduce DLCs that have a variety of resources that are differentiated for all learners is key.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participate 2 - Collecting Reputable Digital Resources

Collecting Reputable Digital Resources https://www.diigo.com/user/alynelson4 The walkabout took me back to some digital resources that I used in my classroom years ago, and introduced me to some new resources that I was not aware of. I enjoy incorporating current research into my classroom and found a couple of resources containing science research that is more simplified for students to understand. I enjoy reading about incorporating technology into traditional classrooms, as well as the use of technology in virtual education, since I studied this during my Masters program. I found some new articles that I enjoyed reading on these topics. One thing I noticed is that some of the resources and articles were from fellow teachers. These particular resources would require more evaluation to ensure the content was accurate, or would need to be used with extreme care. Top 3 Tools/Resources: 1. https://www.khanacademy.org/science - Khan Academy is an amazing resource for videos and...

Participate 1 - Ideal Digital Learning Communities

Ideal Learning Communities 1. What would be needed to bring an ideal learning community to fruition? First of all, there needs to be some regulation in the community. There should be communication standards to eliminate excessive or irresponsible commenting. Typically, DLCs are limited access to those who are associated with the community (for example, only teachers can join). There should be a large variety of reliable resources. For an ideal DLC to come to fruition, you would need a large community of educators or students who are committed to uploading good resources or providing content. It is important to also have reviewers that help to regulate the resources available, so that there isn't much overlap or excessive information on the site. 2. What can one do to make an existing DLC more attractive to and welcoming for students and teachers? Continually adding new, exciting content makes a DLC more attractive. For teachers, offering professional development opportuniti...